Woman: Annie Oakley

Annie OakleyName: Annie Oakley (Pheobe Ann Moses Butler)

Dates: 1860-1926 (August 13)

Place of Birth: Darke County, Ohio

Why is she interesting?

Annie Oakley went from a difficult childhood (to say the least) to stardom for being good at something women didn’t do. She very much lived in a man’s world, travelling around the world with the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show for nearly seventeen years. She performed brilliantly night after night doing something that was considered quite odd for a woman to do.

Annie managed her image carefully so that everyone could see that she was lady, demure and proper, as well as a great sharpshooter, she never appeared tomboyish at all. Her costumes involved short skirts, but she wore long stockings so that no one ever saw any of the skin on her legs. Her outfits were practical, flattering and proper at all times. Annie was a tiny (about five foot tall) woman and wore her hair down like a child when she performed. She appeared as the perfect little lady, and always lived up to that image. Annie was breaking barriers at the same time that she was helping to create an image of American womanhood that showed them as proper, attractive women who were practical and able to handle themselves. The woman Annie represented didn’t need protection, she could protect herself.

Annie Oakley was very aware of the changes happening around her. She offered to lead a regiment of women into battle in both the Spanish American War and World War I (neither offer was accepted). She offered shooting lessons to soldiers and raised money for the war effort. She was in many ways an activist.

She lived to see women gain the right to vote, but was never a part of the women’s movement. That said, she didn’t really need to be. She embodied much of what the feminists were fighting for. She also encouraged women to learn to shoot and worked to make sure that they were allowed to carry guns to protect themselves. She even showed women how to conceal their guns in umbrellas! She never fought for the right to vote (in fact, she seems to have publicly opposed the idea), but she did fight for equal pay for equal work and a woman’s right to protect herself. She fought for many feminist ideas, but she would certainly not have called herself a feminist.

Why do I admire her?

I admire Annie Oakley for a variety of reasons. She was an incredible woman. She made her fame worldwide doing something that only men did, and doing it better than most men ever could. She managed to maintain this image of being a perfect lady, which is non-threatening, even if she held a large gun in her hands (which she usually did). Her level of skill is certainly something to admire, as is her ability to always stay above her own personal standards (as well as society’s, which were considerably lower in this case). Annie fought for women’s rights in a very unconventional way. She never fought for the right to vote or other “big” issues, but she did fight for equal pay and the right to protect oneself. Many leading feminists of the day hadn’t even thought about those issues much yet. She was way ahead of her time in many ways, but also always the true American Victorian lady. I’m particularly impressed at the image of American Women that she projected to not only the outside world, but also to American women themselves. She taught that to be a woman you could still be strong, self sufficient and self-reliant even if you were a proper lady. That’s a powerful image that in many ways came out of the image of Western Women that Annie helped create. It certainly goes against much of what the world thought women were at the time. The best part is, she could create that image without ever being threatening. Annie wasn’t scary to really anyone, as far as I can tell. She was a woman who you probably didn’t want to cross, but who you wouldn’t worry about talking to or having tea with! In some ways she was more revolutionary than many of the feminists living and working at the time. She may not have shocked a lot of people with her ideas, but that was probably partially because she never stated those ideas, she just lived them. It’s much harder to question the validity of something that already exists than it is to question something that only exists as an idea. Annie may not have been a feminist, but she certainly embodied many of the qualities that feminists over the years have been fighting for.

12 Comments

1. Abby said,

June 2, 2006 at 12:00 am

Joe’s parents want to know if you saw the pbs documentary on Annie Oakley. Apparently it was very very good.

2. Katie said,

June 2, 2006 at 12:02 pm

Yes, I did. It was great. I kind of want to buy it, but I doubt Michael would have any interest. I still might. I haven’t decided. It was fantastic though.

3. james bowles said,

November 29, 2006 at 4:51 pm

Hello Christine Wicker,

I have some most interesting information on the magic that Isis used in becoming with the Horus child from Osiris. Isis,as you may know was not the birth mother, Hathor was.

From the Pyramid Texts, Utterance 303 § 466} “Are you Horus, son of Osiris? Are you the god, the eldest one, the son of Hathor?”

You can see who I am from my book, “The Gods,” on amazon.com http://tinyurl.com/323zl

If you have an interest please contact me.

thanks – james bowles

4. julie said,

March 17, 2008 at 11:05 am

hey i would like 2 know if annie oakley hade kids ? i need 2 know 4 school. thanks!

5. julie said,

March 17, 2008 at 11:07 am

o and some said she hade a boy is that true?

6. ashley said,

May 12, 2008 at 8:21 pm

I think Annie Oakley is very cool. Our class is doing a report on historical Americans. I’m doing a report on her and I think it is fun to learn about her. I’m not trying to be mean but it would really help me if you put on here if she had children. For education.

7. Rosepixie said,

May 22, 2008 at 8:29 pm

I realize that you’re finding my website while you’re doing reports for school, but I’m not a research site, you couldn’t use this website as a resource for a report. You could use the wonderful PBS site about her, so I would check there. Otherwise try the library – they’ll have any number of books about Annie Oakley and they would make wonderful resources for school reports as well as good things to site in bibliographies. It doesn’t matter if I do your research for you or not, what matters is that even if I did you’d need a better source than my entirely unvalidated website to cite in your bibliography! Good luck on the reports, girls!

8. Rosepixie said,

May 7, 2009 at 1:20 pm

I want to repeat that this website is not a valid resource for school reports. Please do not use it as one. And please do not answer school report questions in the comments, these students should be finding the answers for themselves (they are readily available in books and on reliable websites that teachers should accept as resources elsewhere). I’m glad you found my website and read it and I’m glad you’re researching, but a few more minutes of work should find you your answers. Don’t expect me, or my readers, to do your work for you.

9. Wilford said,

September 8, 2014 at 7:19 pm

So when considering protecting your assets, getting an iPhone insurance plan company is something that
    you will absolutely appreciate oneself to get a zillion times
    around. Though the world of the digicam mobile phone charger described
    above utilising the 7805 IC may look like over uncomplicated, the charger created from this signal is absolutely saturated in several significant
    attributes.

10. www.facebook.com/pages/Rock-Creek-Coupon/830678263633030 said,

September 11, 2014 at 2:56 am

Unlike at Sea Marie that allows merely no-motorized
    sailing, the comb-layered banks of Eel Sea features extreme marine decline-offs ideal for striper ships and bass angling.
    If you’ll find zero pre-existing sites, here are some facts
    to consider when you choose your internet site.

11. glassescoupon.weebly.com/ said,

September 13, 2014 at 2:43 am

Acquaintances permit you to look like you – natural and
    straightforward with no one understanding that you’re sporting anything
    to assist your side; but you nonetheless don’t possess the trendy
    border that cups will give you. Like nonprescription cups whoever lenses are of no diopter that is utilized
    just for ornament, nonprescription contact lens is of precisely
    the same concept, offering precisely the same intent.

12. Oregon drug treatment centers said,

October 13, 2014 at 3:24 am

I like the helpful information you provide in your
    articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here
    regularly. I am quite certain I will learn plenty of new stuff right
    here! Best of luck for the next!