Meme: Harry Potter Mania!

Ravenclaw CrestThis meme was posted over at Big A little a and Kelly invited anyone who was interested to participate. Since it’s a rather amusing meme, I thought I’d steal it and join in!

1. Butterbeer or pumpkin juice?

Well, I’m not a big fan of anything I can think of butterbeer tasting like, but I am a juice fiend, so I’d have to go with pumpkin juice (even though I’ve never tried it).

2. What house would you most likely (or want to) be in in Hogwarts?

I’d almost certainly be in Ravenclaw. I’m a total nerd, not particularly ambitious and not notably brave. Everything about me screams Ravenclaw. Which is cool. I like Ravenclaw.

3. If you were an animagus, what animal would you turn into?

Hmm… tough one. Probably something small. Maybe a songbird of some type, but I don’t know nearly enough about birds to have any idea what type. I’m talkative and like the sensation of weightlessness and flying (heights definitely don’t scare me either), so songbird seems a good choice.

4. What character to you empathize with or resemble best?

Of the main characters, definitely Herminone – again with the nerd thing. I have a soft spot for Luna too, thoughW. She has such interesting ideas, but no one ever listens to her. I totally understand that feeling sometimes.

5. What position do you play at Quidditch?

Well, assuming I’m allowed to play (I have very little athletic ability), I’d go with keeper. I’m not fast or agile, my throwing and catching suck, and I’m not terribly strong, so that pretty much rules out beater or chaser. My eyesight sucks, so I’d be a horrible seeker. I’ve got a very good sense of how to tend goal, though, so I think if I had to play I’d be keeper. I wouldn’t be very good, but I’d be better at it than I would doing anything else on the field.

6. Which teacher is your favorite?

I like Professor McGonnegall. She’s tough but fair and she’s got a flair for the dramatic at times. Besides, she’s interesting. I’d love to hear her story someday.

7. Any Harry Potter 7 predictions?

I’m running an HP book club at work and the kids usually have way better ideas than I could ever come up with, so my predictions change frequently. Currently I think that Harry’s likely a horcrux, which explains the prophecy and complicates things nicely from a storytelling perspective. It just makes so much sense. I totally didn’t come up with that, by the way. I also think Hermione isn’t going to die (she’s the token girl, so she’s safe). Beyond that, I currently have real theories I’m backing. There are lots of interesting ones I’ve thought about, though (the magical world ending and Mr. Weasley running Hogwarts as a school for wizards learning to join the muggle world was one of my favorites for sheer amusement factor and cleverness, but I don’t think it’s likely at all).

That’s it! If you want to join this meme, please do! I’d love to see what more people think!

9 Comments

1. Jennifer said,

July 10, 2007 at 8:18 am

You know what I always think butterbeer tastes like? Those little yellow candies that were always around when we were kids. And to be honest, I 100% can’t remember what they’re called for the life of me. But they were just little, yellowish, round candies that had that sorta….butter cream type taste? Hopefully I’m making sense. I always think of that taste when they describe butterbeer.

2. Katie said,

July 11, 2007 at 11:05 pm

*laugh* I never thought of those, but I can totally understand why you would think of those candies! I really don’t know what they were called either, but I certainly do remember them (I didn’t like them very much, actually). I wonder if they still make them?

3. Jennifer said,

July 13, 2007 at 8:45 am

Well, I don’t know what it was that finally triggered it, but right after reading your response I remembered the name “Werther’s” as a brand name, ‘cuz those candies were similar. And apparently, a big part of the recipe WAS butter!

Turns out those other ones are butterscotch flavored, and seemed to now be considered “nostalgia candy.” But you can buy them…and I have this feeling if I went to a candy store in town, t hey’d have them there. Seems like they’re often referred to as “Butterscotch Buttons.”

And I didn’t necessarily dislike them, but could never really have more than one. So yeah….now you know what goes through my mind when I read “butterbeer.”

4. Suzanne said,

July 13, 2007 at 1:59 pm

Yes, butterbeer should taste just like those candies.

I too think Harry is a horcrux – I also thin he will die.

I am curious about a detail on your pixel doll pages. What does the term ‘adopted dolls’ refer to?

Thx,

Suzanne

5. Suzanne said,

July 13, 2007 at 2:00 pm

pls disregard the typos

6. Katie said,

July 13, 2007 at 2:46 pm

“Adopted dolls” are dolls made by other people. When I link to another doll maker’s website or use one of their bases I try to adopt some of their dolls so that people on my website can see what their work is like, which might encourage more click-throughs to their websites. Adopting other people’s dolls is fairly common practice among doll makers and since it’s a nice courtesy and allows people who might not otherwise see it to enjoy great pieces I’ve liked, I decided to include it on my website!

7. Suzanne said,

July 13, 2007 at 11:50 pm

Thx for the explanation.

8. Suzanne said,

July 13, 2007 at 11:52 pm

PS If Harry doesn’t die, he will surrender his powers and become a muggle. (Just a as Christ became man to save us all, Harry will become muggle to save us all). I flip-flop between theories on a daily basis.

9. Katie said,

July 14, 2007 at 10:15 pm

I’ve heard that theory as well (that Harry will have to give up his powers). I think him dying is more likely, but it is a possibility. I just don’t think she’s going to go there. She’s been pretty careful to stay away from the “savior” symbolism and I’ll be surprised if she does such a flip-flop on it now. I actually think it’s pretty likely he’ll weasel out of dying at all. I think the prophecy and all expects him to, but prophecies have a way of not being what we think they are and Rowlings is smart enough to have figured out a way for it to surprise us. My husband is pretty sure Ron is going to die (or he was as of a week ago, not sure what he thinks today), and if one of the big three do I agree that it’s likely to be Ron. I’m just not sure what would be gained by Harry surrendering his powers given the way she’s set up the story. If she makes it cool and gives a good explanation, though, I’ll be totally behind it!