Goodbye Oracle, Goodbye DC Comics

As has been much publicised, DC Comics has sort of rebooted their universe. Except they aren’t wiping the slate clean this time – they are rebooting their characters, but somehow leaving their histories in tact as well (I still haven’t quite figured out that one). As far as I can tell, it’s another case of a comic book company handwaving away a lot of great stories because they would rather be nostalgic or maybe start over with their own revised versions. While one of the biggest stated intentions of this is to draw in new readers, I’m skeptical. The changes seem to me more likely to lose readers they have than to attract readerships they have not previously attracted.

There have already been some great illustrations of this with Starfire (this article and this comic, for example) and others. I think that DC has forgotten that there are more readers in the world than the ones they have been writing for over the last several decades. The comics world is constantly in need of more money, more sales, more readers. And those readers are out there – the appeal of their characters is far more widespread than the sales of their comics would suggest. The numbers of viewers of the animated shows and the big-budget movies and the popularity of the videogames based on their properties are orders of magnitude higher than the numbers of readers of their comics. It doesn’t take a business genius to see that the customers are there, they simply aren’t being reached through the comic book medium.

And those cartoon and movie viewers, those videogamers are all kinds of people – some fall into that white, male pool that the average comic book readers fall into, but there are so much more than that. There are women and people of both genders who are not white and kids and more. And those consumers represent a huge amount of revenue. Comic book shops are always struggling, right? Well, if they could get some of that revenue that they have not attracted before maybe they wouldn’t be struggling so much. Women represent half the population, but only a small fraction of the comic-book buying population. But as a woman I can tell you that when I pick up a comic book, even as a life-long comic book reader, I’m frequently stunned by how violently I feel the message “THIS IS NOT FOR YOU”. That’s the message that Starfire gives to women. She always has had that problem, but is doing so even more in this new incarnation.

For me, the character that drew me to superhero comics the most as a kid was Batgirl because she was a strong girl who chose to be a heroine and then worked to become one, sans superpowers. But what kept me reading superhero comics, as opposed to completely giving them up in favor of other types of stories that were not as likely to scream “THIS IS NOT FOR YOU” at me from the covers and nearly every page, was Oracle.

Oracle was something special. Something beyond capes and tights. She still didn’t have any superpowers (most superpowers would have allowed her to get up out of that chair, whether it was to stand on her feet or fly in the air or something else), but she still managed to be a hero from her wheelchair. And how many disabled heroes are there in the comic book world? The only other one I can think of is Professor X from the X-Men, although it seems like there must have been others over the last century.

Oracle was able to become a powerful character in her own right, completely without borrowing from the mantle of one of the more famous (male) characters, with only her intelligence and willpower. Being paralyzed let her character develop in new and interesting ways that few comic book characters ever get to. She worked hard to overcome the pain and loss (although, realistically, that pain was never completely gone), mastering a new fighting form she could do from her wheelchair, but even more importantly, she found a whole new way to fight the good fight without needing a costume at all.

To me, she was a woman who was able to be powerful and heroic without having to also be a sexy pin-up and by being smart instead of having to have the ability to kick her heels up over her head. The idea of a woman who could be heroic without having to be able to show off her breasts and her butt at the same time was very appealing and the image of a woman who was saving the world by being really smart and doing research was even more appealing. I also found the idea that even in a world with invulnerable people and shapeshifters, some pain and some injuries could not be healed to make the DC Universe something that I am more able to relate to. If everyone is invulnerable and no injury is permanent, then what’s the point?

Apparently DC doesn’t see it that way, though. They have gotten rid of Oracle. That and other changes make me, a life-long reader of DC comics (seriously, I have boxes full of comic books dating back to when I was a kid and even some scavenged from my dad’s childhood collection), ready to give up. I give in. DC Comics, you win. I got the message. Maybe it took nearly 30 years for me to get it, but I finally got it. DC Comics are not for me. And as sad as it makes me that you don’t want my readership and my money, or, apparently, women readers and their money in general, I’ve been trying too hard for too long to get past all of the “NOT FOR YOU” messages. All of the T and A pin-ups. All of the stories with powerless women needing saving or women being destroyed so that male characters would have motivation for a few issues until they forgot all about the women who died for them. I give up. Apparently even in 2011, there is room for a boy’s club and I guess it’s time for me to read that “No Girls Allowed” sign posted out front.

Related Articles:

- The Big Sexy Problem with Superheroines and Their ‘Liberated Sexuality’
- Oracle is Stronger than Batgirl will Ever Be
- No More Mutants: 52 Problems
- A Response from a Female Comic Book Fan
- Dear DC Comics
- Comics Should Be For Everyone
- Lois Lane, Girl Reporter (Read this one and think about what DC gave up by rejecting this amazing idea!)

1. Viv said,

September 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Holy shit. This is just heartbreaking to read (much like the story of the seven-year-old and Starfire).

I’m not sure if they’re being willingly clueless or what, but to torch everything like this just hurts.

Granted, I’m not a DC fan (I prefer Mingola and Hellboy, PS238 and other random things — it’s more of an art style thing than anything else), but shit like this is really upsetting as a person who enjoys her comics.

2. Alan said,

September 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Nice post. I sadly don’t expect DC to change a thing, but plentiful voices complaining will hopefully convince other people that there is a market for super hero comics beyond 16-year-old boys.

It looks like WordPress mangled your “this article” and “this comic” links. Where it should be straight quotes, it put in smart quotes, which confuse some browsers.

3. Maverynthia said,

September 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm

The whole T&A thing is the reason I never started to read comics. I could read that the skin tight outfits were basically “We wanted to draw naked women BUT..” Unfortunately that hasn’t changed. We either get the super thin sticks for the kids or the yard of cloth for a costume.

4. Ozaline said,

September 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm

From the way Gail Simone wrote Batgirl it’s possible Oracle will come back it’s really hinted that Flashpoint changed reality somehow and she got her ability to walk back but she’s not supposed to…

I give it 1 to 2 years before she’s back in the chair.

A lot of the characters are getting a total reboot, the Justice League, Teen Titans (this incarnation Red hood and the outlaws makes it clear there was a titans before) Supergirl, and more… It’s really only the Bat family (which Red Hood and hence the characters in his book like Starfire are a part of) and the Green Lantern family that are left alone… Superman starting fresh with two titles he’s not married in either.

There’s a lot that turns me off as a woman (a transwoman for full disclosure) and a queer person in this reboot but there are some great titles I’m enjoying If you want check out my videos on my blog linked I try to rate titles on how minority/women/queer friendly they are… there’s a lot of failure but a lot of success Batgirl I’m on the fence on cause I also grew up with Barbara gordon Batgirl stories… so I understand the appeal of seeing her back again.

I give it 1-2 years though, till she’s back in the chair.

5. Rosepixie said,

September 29, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the links, Alan. They have been fixed.

And yeah, I’ll still read PS238 and comics about things other than superheroes, but I guess after this long I’m just tired of feeling like the creators of the characters and stories are spitting in my face. I want heroes too, but clearly I’m not going to get any from DC. And that does make me sad since I have been a very loyal reader for so long. But you can only take so much, you know?

6. mordicai said,

September 30, 2011 at 5:22 am

I’m not quite ready to say goodbye; I still have hopes that there can be an intervention. I think it isn’t too late to pull the nose of the plane up, but I can’t understand why the pilots are trying SO HARD to plow it into the ground.

7. Eva said,

September 30, 2011 at 9:59 am

You’re right to walk away. DC can’t claim you’re some sort of theoretical customer. You are their customer and they’ve treated you horribly. People are very fond of saying “money talks” and it sounds to me like DC is not earning your money in any way shape or form.

There are other comics in the world. It can’t be the same, but you’ll find some that treat you with more respect. *hugs*

8. Ugg Roxy Liverpool said,

July 22, 2015 at 10:18 am

so much very good information on here, : D.

9. Longchamps In Singapore said,

July 22, 2015 at 10:32 am

I went over this internet site and I conceive you have a lot of superb information, bookmarked (:.

10. said,

July 28, 2015 at 11:57 am

Excellent, since the woman could not be rejected health insurance-it had been team

11. said,

July 28, 2015 at 4:15 pm

So, to get a fair settlement, it is best to contact a highly experienced personal injury lawyer.
    What if the opposing party’s insurance company contacts me – should I speak
    to them. Most of the lawyers who specialize in personal injury cases would first of all recommend you to try to settle the dispute
    outside the court of law.

12. atlanta tree cutting services said,

July 29, 2015 at 2:51 am

To eliminating the pine must that show to be required nevertheless,
    we are able to provide a custom approach.

13. said,

July 29, 2015 at 4:31 am

Since it is designed to collapse personal insurance as well as compel us all to solitary payer.

14. Amanda said,

July 29, 2015 at 8:26 am

Specifically bigger towns, in metropolitan areas,
    regulations on tree elimination could be a lot more tough.

15. Susan said,

July 30, 2015 at 12:18 pm

If some one wishes to be updated with hottest technologies then he must
    be pay a visit this web page and be up to date everyday.

16. said,

July 31, 2015 at 1:25 am

If you do this, you can get approved for an FHA
    financing after one year in the payment program.

17. online chinese course said,

July 31, 2015 at 1:12 pm

always i used to read smaller articles that also clear their motive, and that is also happening
    with this paragraph which I am reading here.

18. said,

July 31, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Effectively, the cash pass statement can be a useful analytical tool
    to evaluate a business’s financial well being if one understands how to interpret cashflow
    statements properly. Are you on the hunt for info
    linked to consolidate federal government student loans as
    well as other info somehow related to student loan consolidation rates, or xpress bank loan services student loan.

19. Malorie said,

August 2, 2015 at 5:37 am

There’s definately a great deal to find out about this issue.

I like all of the points you made.

20. e- said,

August 2, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Nice weblog here! Also your website loads up fast! What host are
    you using? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink for your host?

I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

21. First Choice for Babies said,

August 3, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Unquestionably imagine that which you said. Your favourite reason appeared to be on the internet the simplest factor to remember of.
    I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while folks
    think about worries that they just don’t recognise about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without
    having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will
    probably be back to get more. Thanks

22. coral springs pool maintence said,

August 8, 2015 at 7:43 am

I pay a quick visit each day some sites and
    information sites to read posts, however this website gives feature based posts.

23. legend of master online cheat said,

August 8, 2015 at 5:37 pm

If you want to take a good deal from this piece
    of writing then you have to apply such methods to your won web site.

24. Rodger said,

August 11, 2015 at 10:52 am

And you’ll wish to stay imitators at bay. Strong
    trademarks help do all these things.

25. Fausto said,

August 11, 2015 at 11:34 am

You may set up a phone assessment with me to go over your search results page and also any
    other inquiries you could have regarding the hallmark process.

26. Shelly said,

August 11, 2015 at 11:54 am

The comprehensive hallmark search will certainly be returned to you within one week.

27. Margery said,

August 11, 2015 at 2:06 pm

The gay and also lesbian neighborhood sent affidavits saying it
    had not been offended by the term.

28. Reginald said,

August 11, 2015 at 5:41 pm

This is among the most frequent faults that individuals create when buying auto loans.

29. Angelia said,

August 11, 2015 at 6:44 pm

At your, this point Loan specialist can request you
    to provide all required documentation for him to submit to his underwriting division for final agreement.

30. 限定特別入荷 一部予約販売 said,

August 11, 2015 at 8:40 pm

一般 I しない しかし、ブログに| | ポストの記事を 学ぶ読ん私はしたいこれは、ライトアップと言う、非常に とそれ私は !あなたの文章は私スタイルは びっくりびっくりされています。 おかげで、かなり 素晴らしい 記事。
    限定特別入荷 一部予約販売

31. 2週間で完売したこだわり 一部予約販売 said,

August 11, 2015 at 8:41 pm

良い ブログあなたがここに持っているが、私はしたあなたは、任意のユーザーディスカッションフォーラムを知っていたならば、好奇心旺盛 ここで|この記事では、議論|同じトピックをカバーするフォーラムでは} {について話しましたか?私は思います本当に大好き他得ることができます の一部であると経験豊富 個人。あなたが任意の持っている場合は勧告、私に知らせてください。 それを感謝!
    2週間で完売したこだわり 一部予約販売

32. 格安通販サイト 一部予約販売 said,

August 11, 2015 at 8:41 pm

このようにそう、| テレビテレビのニュースを聞くために生活この活動の完全なアクティブ忙しい非常に これは ですI のみを使用し、そのためのワールド·ワイド·ウェブ 目的、と取得 最新 ニュース。
    格安通販サイト 一部予約販売

33. 3日間限定 同時エントリーでポイント最大18倍 said,

August 11, 2015 at 8:41 pm

こんにちは。 改善に物事を見つけるためにしよう!ウェブサイトを私は考えののいくつかアイデアを!
    3日間限定 同時エントリーでポイント最大18倍

34. 最安値級価格 一部予約販売 said,

August 11, 2015 at 8:42 pm

見栄えのサイト。 大量の束たくさん HTML コーディング。
    最安値級価格 一部予約販売

35. 即日発送可能 一部予約販売 said,

August 11, 2015 at 8:42 pm

ただ正確。 あなたは何 個人的にあなたのためにオファーゲスト作家は内容を書き込むには? 多くのほとんどのポストまたは上起草出版書き込みを科目を、私は気にしないだろうここで、に関する関係ににあなたが書きます。ここでも、素晴らしい Webログ!
    即日発送可能 一部予約販売

36. Charline said,

August 12, 2015 at 11:04 am

That is proper, get this beauty for lots lower than what it is actually price.

37. Wanda said,

August 12, 2015 at 11:51 am

Penang Botanical Gardens is without doubt one of the best day journeys from Georgetown in Malaysia.

38. Iva said,

August 12, 2015 at 6:31 pm

So if your credit score is listed below 700 approximately, you
    could have problem getting a green light from the PMI firm.

39. punk tshirts said,

August 14, 2015 at 12:12 am

I think the admin of this web page is genuinely working hard for his site, for the reason that
    here every material is quality based material.

40. said,

August 25, 2015 at 2:20 am

Urgent medical intervention is essential in such a scenario.
    None of their friends were ever invited in to John and
    Mc – Cracken’s house. If you know how to use the Internet, ordering your own prescriptions can be as easy as turning
    on the computer while taking your morning coffee, and you never
    have to leave your home doing it.

41. 5linx said,

August 30, 2015 at 6:18 am

‘This week, I will only drink one beer on Friday night, saving myself thousands
    of calories’. As way as their items go, they marketplace numerous science
    based mostly nutraceuticals that are created to assist in your total wellness and
    properly becoming. Right after reading this Vi – Salus evaluation you are most likely thinking that
    Vi – Salus is an excellent opportunity as well as are ready
    to get started.

42. Longchamp Eiffel Tower Bag White said,

August 31, 2015 at 10:00 am

Hi! I found your blog on Google.Its really comprehensive and it helped me a lot.
    Longchamp Eiffel Tower Bag White

43. Empfehlen, zu besuchen said,

September 2, 2015 at 4:23 am

Auszahlbares Gewinn: 100 Euro Einzahlungsbonusse… Read Post Keine Kommentare Nur für limitierte Zeit, bis 31 2015 schenkt EuroGrand Casino 10 Freispiele ohne Einzahlung für neue Spieler.

44. said,

September 28, 2015 at 11:25 am

Who first sold me on this feeling to freely allow something that provides an unique solution for at that time?

45. said,

September 28, 2015 at 11:25 am

Remarkable! This blog looks just like my old 1! It is on a totally different topic but it has pretty a lot the same layout and design. Great choice of colors!

46. Mehr said,

September 29, 2015 at 3:22 am

riesigen Datenbanken finden sich unzählige geile Luder, die richtig heiss auf diskrete Sofortsexkontakte ohne feste Beziehung sind.

47. modeling videos said,

October 1, 2015 at 7:39 pm

For httest news you haave too pay a visit the web and on world-wide-web I found
    this web site as a best website for newest updates.

48. Ressourcen said,

October 9, 2015 at 4:12 am

800 bis 900 Jahre .

49. tempat wisata di jakarta said,

October 11, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Very good information. Lucky me I came across your
    website by chance (stumbleupon). I have book marked it for

50. Weblink said,

October 13, 2015 at 5:57 am

julia scharf .

51. aktualisierten Blogeintrag said,

October 14, 2015 at 8:10 am

Die Zeit beim nachsitzen wird dir ganz schön lange werden, das kann ich dir jetzt schon sagen.

52. Diese Seite said,

October 20, 2015 at 9:01 am

Diese Creme ist Frei Parabens .

53. Stimmst du zu said,

October 31, 2015 at 7:28 am

Natürlich brauchte der junge Mann keine Amme.

54. google said,

November 3, 2015 at 3:45 am

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you offer on this web site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work. “Money is power, freedom, a cushion, the root of al evil, the sum of all blessings.” by Carl Sandburg.

55. google said,

November 3, 2015 at 4:24 am

Some truly quality articles on this website , saved to my bookmarks .

56. un fantastico lettura said,

November 9, 2015 at 7:03 am

si dimagrisce riducendo porzioni e mangiando tutto propio tutto…

57. said,

November 11, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Many women additionally look to their own zodiac sign when they choose a scent, which is not an awful.

The british isles Consumer Credit Counseling Program put tension on the world’s lenders because
    they have seen an abundant rise with unemployed people today being approved intended
    for payday loans while repayment on the loans seems unlikely.
    This kind of loan will pay off all of your creditors at a time and stop your
    complete interest rates out of continuously accumulating.

58. unter diesem Link said,

November 15, 2015 at 9:39 am

Sie genoss den Luxus oben wieder und wusste genau, wem sie es zu verdanken hat.

59. ดู หนัง ออนไลน์ master ใหม่ ฟรี said,

November 16, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Hi! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through
    this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always
    kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he
    will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

60. said,

November 17, 2015 at 5:53 am

61. meine neuesten Blog-Post said,

November 20, 2015 at 9:18 am

Ich muss auch gestehen, dass ich das ganze jetzt regelmäßiger mache als zuvor und es tut mir jedes Mal richtig gut mich auf die scharfen Abende einzulassen.

62. Fran said,

November 21, 2015 at 12:21 pm

I read this piece of writing completely abouut the difference of most up-to-dateand earlier technologies, it’s awesome article.

63. said,

November 25, 2015 at 11:45 am

I completely realize what you’ve got explained. Actually, I browsed throughout your several other content articles and I do believe you are definitely correct. Congrats with this certain blog.